Is there anything cozier than shepherd’s pie? The high-fat content allowed in the keto diet can take comfort food a step further by adding rich ingredients like cheese and cream to the mix, and this meal shows no exception! Furthermore, the creamy smooth mashed cauliflower will make you say “what potatoes?” whenever you even consider making this dish!
Vegetarian? No problem! Sub the ground beef filling out for diced low-carb mushrooms and you can even throw some chopped walnuts (within reason!) in there for good measure.
You can make this with any kind of ground you prefer, including turkey, pork, or beef. But, we wanted to make it as traditional as possible with ground lamb! No worries if you opt for another type of protein, though.
THIS RECIPE YIELDS 10 SERVINGS
1 hr 10 mins
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup dry red wine* (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lb cauliflower florets
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown your protein over medium heat until cooked through, for about 10-12 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a casserole dish.
- Add your onion, salt and pepper to the pan and cook for 5 minutes till your onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- With a whisk, stir your coconut flour into the pan juices until well combined to thicken. Slowly add the red wine and cook until reduced by about half. Stir in the chopped rosemary and then pour the mixture over the lamb.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- As your oven is heating, steam your cauliflower and garlic cloves with a large stockpot and steaming basket. Steam until cauliflower is very tender, for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower well and transfer to a blender or food processor, along with the garlic cloves. Add the sour cream, butter, salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Spread the cauliflower mixture over the filling in the casserole dish and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the cheese is melted.
- Turn the broiler on high and broil 4 to 6 inches from heat for 2 to 4 minutes to brown the cheese. Remove and let sit a few minutes before serving