Roast chicken is one of our favorite dinners ever, but it's usually too fussy to make on a weeknight. In the Instant Pot, you cut the cooking time in half!
Prep time: 80 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chopped thyme leaves Kosher saltFreshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole small chicken (3- to 4-lb.)
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, and thyme. Pat chicken dry with paper towels then season generously with salt and pepper. Rub the brown sugar mixture all over chicken.
- Preheat Instant Pot to Sauté setting. Once heated, add oil then add chicken, breast side down. Let sear until skin is crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Use very large tongs to flip chicken then pour broth into the bottom of the Instant Pot. (This step can be tricky!)
- Change setting to Pressure Cook on High and set timer to 25 minutes. Lock lid into place and set valve to “Sealing” position.
- Allow Instant Pot to depressurize naturally then remove lid and take out chicken. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.