Get it to the Greek with this delicious moussaka! Like a hug on a cold winter’s day, Moussaka is one of those great casserole dishes that can warm you up to your very core. And best of all, it’s super easy to make it Keto!
Top Tip: Unless you’re making this for a dinner party, you WILL have leftovers. So store your moussaka well, and keep in mind it can also be frozen.
THIS RECIPE YIELDS 8 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained (6 oz drained tomatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded full-fat Mozzarella cheese (2 oz)
- While your oven is preheats at 500 degrees F, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Take the eggs and yogurt out of the fridge to allow them to get to room temperature.
- Partially peel the eggplants, leaving some unpeeled strips. Slice crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Arrange your eggplants into a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, coated with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and roast for 10 minutes. Turn to the other side and roast 10 more minutes.
- While the eggplants are roasting, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, 3 minutes. Add the onion and the meat and sauté until meat is browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking it up as it cooks. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, coriander, oregano, cinnamon, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until liquids have evaporated.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Grease a shallow rectangular 2-quart baking dish (a shallow square 9-inch baking dish will probably work too) with olive oil.
- Arrange half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread the meat mixture over the eggplant slices, pressing to flatten. Cover with the remaining eggplant slices.
- Whisk together the eggs, yogurt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper until creamy, and pour over the eggplants. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes until the top is golden and set.
- Remove from oven. Carefully pour out any liquids that might have accumulated in the bottom of the pan. Place the pan on a wire rack and allow to slightly cool and set, about 15 minutes. It’s important to avoid cutting into the moussaka while it’s piping hot (though we know you really, really want to.) Keep it cool to make 8 perfect portions and serve.